Friday 4 February 2011

Trend alert, hailing from Scotland



On my recent visit to Edinburgh I passed by a big and boisterous souvenir shop and had a fashion epiphany (or so I thought). I thought it was sheer genius when my eyes fell upon a row of sporrans( for those of you who don't know your Scottish culture, that's the "man purse" that is chained to the front of a man's kilt in lieu of pockets)
and I came up with the brilliant idea of fashioning one into a handbag. Alas, to my disappointment, I soon learned that my idea was not so original and in fact many sporrans have been sold to many women for the purpose of becoming a handbag. All you have to do is purchase an extra strap and, voila, you've got yourself an over the shoulder Scottish fashion gem! They come in rabbit, seal (limited stock though as thankfully seal clubbing is no longer legal) leather and several other forms of mammal. They're not cheap but they should go the distance.
Of course, this idea may not go down well with those against fur...and in truth your Iphone and lippy are not Innuits facing a hypothermic demise without the stoic help of a furry friend....but rabbits and possum are eco-pests in many places. Just don't go sporting a possum sporran in Australia and you should evade an unplanned red paint shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment